Saturday, September 27, 2014

Beauty Bag: Lavender Ion Color Brilliance Review

Hello Brownbaggers!  If you've been following my blog for a while, you know that I am VERY passionate about education.  Theory and pedagogy are my thanggg!  However, just like every other teacher on this planet, there is more to me than teaching.  For that reason, I'm going to start posting more frequently about health, wellness, and beauty - the other loves of my life.

For quite some time now I've been wanting a change with my hair color.  I have been blonde almost my entire life.  And I've been loving the pastel, candy-colored hair trend.  I especially love it when it's all-over color.  How cool, right?! 

However, given my career choice, I can't color my entire head cotton candy pink. In addition, I don't have the style to pull that off.  I would describe myself as preppy, equestrian boho... not eclectic.

So, I decided to put in some lavender peekaboos!  Below is my experience with the Ion Color Brilliance Brights (semi-permanent) Hair Color in Lavender:


A product thumbnail of Ion Color Brilliance Brights Semi-Permanent Hair Color

I won't lie.  When I first bought it, I was quite intimidated.  I've never colored my hair at home.  Ever since I was a young girl, my mom would tell me her horror stories about at-home coloring.  But, with my mom there to help me, it was on!  The best part about the Ion Color Brilliance Brights collection is that so many of them were candy-colored.  This specific line carries the true pastels I was looking for.


What did I like even more?! It ONLY came with a packet of directions and the hair color.  No mixing involved.  Just squirt the THICK hair color creme into your gloved hands and go to town!  


I wanted my color to be subtle.  Not stop and stare but more like the... "Oh wait? Do you have purple in your hair?" kind of a response.  So I pulled up the top inch of hair on both the sides and the back of my part.  I wanted the top of my head/hair to remain professional for work.  

Then I had my mom GLOBBBBB on the color cream in large chunks.  She spread the thick cream on starting 2" inches from the root of each section and working the color up and down the strands.  I made sure that the hair was saturated and left it on for 1 hour.  The directions say to leave the color on for 20-40 minutes but from the beginning I knew it would take longer to get a more vibrant color pay-off.



You can see from the pictures above that the color turned out great.  It's pretty subtle.  At first I thought I should add more; however, the more I look at it, the prettier I think it is.  At only $4.79 a package (from Sally's Beauty Supply), what a great deal!  I  would for sure do this again if my hair was previously lightened.  It does require pre-lightened hair which is something I don't feel comfortable doing on my own.

Final verdict? LOVE.  It's super easy to do and idiot proof.  It semi-permanent, so you're not married to it.  And it's right on trend.  I'm trying cotton candy pink or baby blue next time!





No comments:

Post a Comment